The pressure is really on to increase leads. You’ve spent all year – and a significant amount of your budget – trying to hit your lead target, but it’s still just out of reach.
What’s more, you’ve also got next year on your mind and how you’re going to keep your pipeline full.
You know that call tracking can help you understand which marketing strategies will help with lead generation – both in the short and long term. However, you’re not sure where to start.
In this blog, we’ll dive into four simple yet effective ways call tracking can amp up your lead numbers:
- Identify high-converting channels to focus on
- Target the right audience with PPC
- Optimise the user journey for conversions
- Remarket to prospect who have enquired by phone
1. Identify high-converting channels to focus on
Faced with a limited budget and a lead target to reach, it can be difficult to make confident decisions about which marketing channels to invest in to deliver the right conversions.
For example, is increasing your daily budget on Google Ads going to directly translate to an increase in leads? Or is widening your targeting on LinkedIn going to reach the right audience and drive up relevant enquiries?
Using Mediahawk’s call tracking technology, you can attribute your online and offline conversions to understand how your current lead generation strategy is performing across all your marketing channels.
- We do this by automatically assigning unique IDs to every single caller and website visitor.
- Mediahawk captures every detail of a user’s interaction with you, including the specific marketing activity that brought them to you.
- Once they convert to a sale, our sales reporting feature links revenue from your customer relationship management (CRM) platform directly back to the marketing campaign.
This helps you identify which marketing channels produce leads as well as sales – giving you clear direction on where to focus your lead generation efforts.
Through strategic refinement of their marketing channels, Barchester Healthcare significantly increased move-ins from their paid search activity. Tom Holloway, Digital Marketing Manager at Barchester explains, “We target older demographics, and in the past offline was very important for us. As time has progressed, it’s allowed us to see the switch from offline to digital and, along with that, [we’ve been able to] adjust our budgets accordingly. Without call tracking we would have continued to keep doing the same offline marketing – probably not getting any results – which meant that we were wasting valuable marketing budget.”
Head of Marketing at Mediahawk, Faye Thomassen, adds “With information from Mediahawk, marketers can confidently identify the right activities to stop – and which campaigns and channels they need to focus on to increase their enquiries. Barchester’s success underscores the importance of analysing the channels that enquiries originate from.”
“With information from Mediahawk, marketers can confidently identify the right activities to stop – and which campaigns and channels they need to focus on to increase their enquiries.”
Faye Thomassen, Head of Marketing, Mediahawk
2. Target the right audience with PPC
You spend a lot of money on your pay-per-click (PPC) campaigns, and you’re driving a lot of traffic. But you aren’t sure if it’s actually contributing to leads.
Mediahawk’s PPC call tracking feature gives you a true picture of your PPC performance. You can review this in real-time and adjust course quickly to increase leads.
- Identify and prioritise your high-intent keywords. Establish which PPC keywords generate conversions and sales, and reallocate budget from poorly performing keywords to those that deliver valuable leads and revenue.
- Uncover hidden phone call conversions. Integrate Mediahawk with Google Ads and GA4 to track call conversions alongside your online conversions and see how this transforms your PPC performance.
- Compare response from Google Ads, Microsoft Advertising, and Facebook ads side-by-side. Instantly see the total number of calls, visitors, revenue, and more for every campaign on each platform. [report screenshot?]
- Attribute revenue to PPC campaigns. Quickly distinguish between the campaigns that just result in visits compared to those that deliver revenue, to focus on your most profitable lead and revenue generating activities.
“Mediahawk helps us see which marketing methods are generating calls, then we prioritise our spending accordingly. For one client, when we started using Mediahawk we were able to generate five times as many calls – without increasing ad spend. You can imagine how happy the client was.”
Justin Deaville, Managing Director, Receptional
3. Optimise the user journey for conversions
There are a number of factors involved in finding out how your target audience discover, research, and convert, including:
- Which marketing channels are your prospects using research and find you?
- What messaging and creative do they engage with?
- At what stages of the buying journey do they interact with your business?
- Are there any barriers preventing a conversion?
- How do they prefer to convert?
Integrating your existing marketing analytics tools with Mediahawk’s call tracking platform gives you a much deeper understanding of your customers’ buying behaviour.
- Use visitor call tracking to get a very detailed picture of your current visitor journeys. This includes the channels that are driving visits, the pages people view, how many times they visit your site, and if they convert to a lead or sale.
- Test calls-to-action (CTA), messaging, creative, and landing page variations to see what your audience responds to, and optimise for the versions that generate conversions.
- Track every single CTA, including phone calls, live chat, content downloads, and form fills, to see what interactions are useful to your prospects at each stage of the journey.
- Identify any barriers that prevent people from converting (such as an important piece of information that’s missing from your landing page) by reviewing the pages that people call from. You can also automatically categorise callers by the types of queries they ask using tools like our speech analytics feature to instantly pinpoint any common hurdles.
- Link your revenue back to marketing activities so that you have a complete picture of the activities that are driving leads that are more likely to convert.
You can use this insight to optimise touchpoints throughout the journey to increase lead generation.
4. Remarket to prospects who have enquired by phone
Unlike your website visitors, phone enquiries that have come from a visit to your website provide you with a lot more data that you can use to create highly relevant remarketing ads.
Prospects may have called you with a query about your product or service but they aren’t ready to provide their details. Using speech analytics you can remarket to them much more effectively, persuading them to return and convert to a lead.
For example, you’re spending £10,000 per month on Google Ads for vehicle accessories. You receive 1,000 phone calls:
- 600 are prospects interested in product A and drive a car, so they are categorised as ‘Lead – car’;
- 250 are interested in product A but drive a bike, so they are categorised as ‘Lead – bike’,
- and 150 are existing customers, categorised as ‘Existing’.
With speech analytics you can:
- Send your categories from Mediahawk into GA4 as an event parameter.
- Use these categories to build custom audiences in Google Ads.
- Deliver highly targeted remarketing ads to your audiences based on the product and their enquiry,
- With Google Signals turned on, you can set up a retargeting campaign for your ‘Leads’ audiences to widen your market reach.
- Use your ‘Existing’ list to exclude current customers from remarketing to avoid wasting spend. This ensures your budget is focused on targeting prospects.
Colin Hudson, Mediahawk’s Head of Client Services explains, “This approach gives marketers a new opportunity to increase leads that may have been lost, and to reach a wider audience than they can with website retargeting alone. Being able to add that extra layer of insight that call data provides to create highly relevant ads gives businesses a distinctive advantage.”
The added dimension that Mediahawk’s call tracking data provides helps you identify high-converting marketing channels, target the right audience for PPC, optimise the user journey for more conversions, and leverage smart remarketing techniques.
In the short-term, this will give you a significant increase in leads. You’ll also gain valuable insights into the behaviours of your target audience. This is vital to drive your lead generation strategy forward for the long term.