Over the last few weeks I have been engaging our social media campaign here at Mediahawk and it’s got me asking myself, “how many people are actually using social media sites such as Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn?”
Whether it’s from a marketing perspective – or purely personal use – one in nine of us in the world are regularly accessing Facebook. Facebook has over 600 million users with people like you and me spending 700 billion minutes per month using the site. 250 million people alone are accessing the site through their mobile devices.
Twitter is also dramatically on the rise with an average 500,000 more users joining the site every day and tweeting on average 190 million times a day!
With figures like these, it’s easy to see that social media is increasingly becoming an important part of the marketing mix. With so many users, it really isn’t something that marketers should be missing out on.
Social media for marketers
The 2011 Social Media Marketing Industry Report is an annual report surveying marketers about the role and application of social media in marketing.
More than 3,300 marketers were surveyed, and the results are very interesting:
- 90% of marketers indicated that social media is important for their business.
- Only one-third of social media marketers want to know how to monitor and measure the return of investment of social media.
- 58% of marketers use social media for 6 hours or more each week.
- 77% of marketers plan on increasing their use of YouTube and video marketing in 2011.
- 70% of marketers want to learn more about Facebook.
In a future post, I’ll explore in more detail the facts and figures that relate to all things social media, how social media is linked to the way we market our products and services, and in particular how Mediahawk forms an important part of this marketing mix.